Friday December 17, 2024 – Continuing his commitment to combat gang violence in California, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, joined by Chief Charlie Beck, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Sheriff Lee Baca, and other mayors and law enforcement representatives, announced over $9.2 million in competitive grants have been awarded to 24 cities throughout the state under the Governor’s California Gang Reduction, Intervention and Prevention (CalGRIP) initiative.
“My Administration is committed to fighting gang violence with a comprehensive approach that will keep our youth on the right track with early intervention and coordinated anti-gang efforts,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “These grants will help support California’s local communities to prevent and fight gang violence, making our streets safer.”
The Governor’s Office of Gang and Youth Violence Policy (OGYVP) received proposals from 36 cities and selected the 24 recipients through a competitive grant process. Applications were rated by expert panels on the basis of more than 20 objective factors, including the number of gang-related homicides and other crimes, demographic information and use of evidence-based practices. The expert panels were made up of representatives from sheriff, police and probation departments, local government, state grant administrators and schools and community-based organizations. In accordance with state budget language, the city of Los Angeles received $1 million through a non-competitive grant.
“Part of the Governor’s anti-gang initiative is to bring additional resources to our local communities to help combat gang violence and prevent at-risk youth from joining gangs,” said Paul Seave, director of the Governor's OGYVP. “These grants will assist local anti-gang efforts, particularly those implementing strategies that have been proven to be effective.”
Governor Schwarzenegger is committed to combating gang violence in California and, in 2007, introduced his CalGRIP initiative to confront the dramatic increase in gangs across the state and their proliferation in suburban and rural areas. CalGRIP combines funding from different programs and directs it towards local anti-gang efforts focused on intervention, suppression and prevention. Since CalGRIP started in 2007, grants totaling more than $59 million in grants have been awarded to support efforts to reduce gang and youth violence including providing job training and education programs.
The grants awarded today are the fourth round of grants under CalGRIP as part of the Governor’s initiative to address gang violence in a smart way at the local level. Cities are responsible for defining problems and solutions including prevention, intervention and enforcement strategies, and they must match the state’s grant. Through the Governor’s OGYVP, the state will work with cities to implement proven evidence-based practices. Several grantees will implement the Safe Community Partnership model that has been proven to save lives showing a 25 to over 60 percent reduction in homicides in cities around the nation such as Boston, Chicago, Indianapolis and Stockton. Many other cities will implement programs proven to reduce recidivism among high-risk youth. In order to implement these programs, cities are encouraged to partner with county agencies, educational agencies and community-based organizations.
Earlier this year, the Governor announced over $9.2 million in the third round of competitive grants awarded to 24 cities throughout California to help combat and prevent gang violence in these communities. The Governor also joined federal, state and local law enforcement officials in Salinas earlier this year, where they announced the arrests of more than 30 gang members as part of a state, federal and local coordinated investigation into gang activity in the area.
As part of the CalGRIP initiative, the Governor announced more than $7.5 million in grants awarded throughout the state to help at-risk youth expand their education, job training and employment opportunities. Additionally, the Governor announced $3 million in federal stimulus money for the Bridges to Success program last March, which is designed to open career paths for youths most likely to drop out of school. The goal of the program is to help link at-risk youths with real-world jobs that offer a taste of the career opportunities available to them if they complete their education.
Below is the list of awardees that will receive a combined total of over $9.2 million in competitive grants:
NORTHERN COUNTIES $502,079
Shasta County
Redding $186,981
Sonoma County
Santa Rosa $315,098
BAY AREA $1,107,927
Alameda County
Hayward $369,309
Oakland $369,309
Contra Costa
Richmond $369,309
CENTRAL COAST $1,846,466
Monterey County
Gonzales $369,309
Salinas $369,230
Santa Cruz County
Watsonville $369,309
San Benito County
Hollister $369,309
Santa Barbara County
Santa Barbara $369,309
CENTRAL VALLEY $1,068,093
Sacramento County
Sacramento $369,309
Fresno County
Fresno $369,309
Kern County
Bakersfield $329,475
LOS ANGELES COUNTY $2,107,927
Los Angeles $1,000,000
Hawthorne $369,309
Long Beach $369,309
Pasadena $369,309
SOUTHERN COUNTIES $2,582,508
Orange County
Fullerton $369,309
Santa Ana $369,309
San Bernardino County
San Bernardino $366,654
San Diego County
Chula Vista $369,309
Oceanside $369,309
San Diego $369,309
Ventura County
Oxnard $369,309
TOTAL $9.215 MILLION
Recent Comments