• Police Commissioner John Mack led the commission in observing a moment of silence in honor of those who perished in last Friday’s deadly Metrolink collision.
• Police Commissioner Andrea Ordin offered her condolences to the friends and family members of those lost in the Metrolink collision. She also stated she attended the Art Walk on Skid Row.
• Police Commissioner Robert Saltzman reported that following last week's Commission meeting, Richard Ray from the Department of Disability and LAPD staff met to discuss improved service to the hearing impaired community. He said some of the devices may be appropriate for use in the Department. He also attended a meeting with Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger and Deputy Chief Sergio Diaz on USC issues.
• Police Commissioner Alan Skobin said he was at the scene of the Metrolink collision and said he was very proud of the response by firefighters, police, medical technicians and members of the community. He also said that there is a lot of healing to be done by both the family members of those who perished and rescue personnel alike. Commissioner Skobin recalled two instances which really touched him as well.
• Police Chief William Bratton announced the funeral services for Police Officer Spree Desha, who was among the 25 victims of the Metrolink collision, would be held on Thursday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angeles in downtown Los Angeles. Chief Bratton attended a congressional hearing on weapons of mass destruction with New York Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly.
• The Department’s verbal presentation and discussion relative to the status of DNA grants and DNA processing backlog was given by Ms. Laura Filatoff and Ms. Yvette Sanchez-Owens. They stated the Department has a back log of 7200 cases which needs to be analyzed. Due to lack of funds and personnel, Scientific Investigation Division (SID) is not able to process the cases. Councilmember Jack Weiss, who has championed this issue, said he was able to create 16 Criminalist positions for SID but does not have the funds to hire the personnel. He estimated the cost of eliminating the backlog while maintaining current workloads would be $4.5 million, with completion by 2013. Ms. Filatoff also said the 2004 and 2005 grants have been closed and the 2006 grant is 61% spent. The 2008 grant can start in October.
• The Department’s verbal presentation and update, as requested by the Board, on the current status of the personnel complaint investigations relative to the MacArthur Park incident occurring on May 1, 2007, and the status of recommendations contained in the Department’s report “An Examination of May Day 2007” was given by Mr. Gerald Chaleff, Deputy Chief Sandy Jo MacArthur and Deputy Chief Mark Perez. Mr. Chaleff said that as a result of the incident there are 320 plaintiffs, 295 in federal court and 25 in state court. Deputy Chief MacArthur offered the findings of the Departments report. She said that there were 23 recommendations in the report and that the recommendations have been regularized. Some of the recommendations were the formation of the Incident Management and Training Bureau, annual review of crowd controls, continued use of the sound vehicles, training of videographers, and standardized protocols. Deputy Chief Perez said the investigation into the incident was the most extensive internal investigation in the Department’s history, consuming 12,000 working hours. He also said there were a total of 80 allegations involving 29 employees. The breakdown is as follows: 3 officers received Official Reprimands, 5 received 3-day suspensions, 2 received 5-day suspensions, 1 received 10-day suspension, 3 were downgraded in rank and 4 were recommended for termination. There were no categorical use of force allegations.
• The Department’s report, dated September 4, 2008, relative to the Transmittal of Grant Application for the 2008/09 Paul Coverdell forensic Sciences Improvement Program, was approved and transmitted to the Mayor and City Council
• The Department’s report, dated August 27, 2008, relative to the City Controller Audit of Fiscal Operations Division of the Los Angeles Police Department- Bi-Annual Report, was approved.
• The Department’s report, dated June 18, 2008, and Inspector General’s report, dated September 9, 2008, relative to the review of the Department’s Confidential Informant Control Package Audit, was approved.
How many Supervisors took days?- NONE. How can the Metro Lt. In charge of these officers receive a commendation for "Outstanding" command and control, and the true workers are punished for their actions. Good job Chief; you did it again.
Posted by: J | September 17, 2024 at 05:16 PM
John Mack is an embarrassment to his position, and to US, the people of Los Angeles. And the Mayor should be ashamed of himself for putting this hateful individual in such an important position of power such as a Police Commissioner. But then, other than Alan Skobin, the rest of those Commissioners are lacking any credibility at all. This city will not ever be at it's safest point with ignorant, arrogant, elitist, malcontents like these people running amuck, and running the show. Commissioner Mack should also hold a moment of silence for the death of his integrity and common sense, which perished long ago.
Posted by: Ed O'Shea | September 18, 2024 at 12:00 PM