LOS ANGELES — Mayor Eric Garcetti and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck announced today that 791 firearms were collected and permanently taken off the streets of L.A. at the City’s annual Gun Buyback event on May 7.
The number of firearms collected marks an increase over last year’s total, as the City of Los Angeles reaffirms its commitment to taking every possible opportunity to reduce gun violence. An initiative of the Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development, the Gun Buyback program is supported by the Los Angeles Police Department, as well as by victim advocacy, faith-based, and community organizations.
“Fewer guns in our neighborhoods means fewer chances for them to kill, injure, or terrorize the people we love,” said Mayor Garcetti. “If we prevent a single shooting, then the Gun Buyback program has been a success. Our administration continues to look for innovative ways to keep our communities safe — from expanded gang intervention programs, to creating job opportunities for men and women looking to turn their lives around. We will do everything in our power to take guns — and shooters ¬— off the streets of Los Angeles.”
In total, 364 handguns, 237 rifles, 144 shotguns, and 42 assault weapons were collected at two locations, with four guns classified as “other.”
A total of 15,233 guns have been taken off the street at 11 Gun Buyback events since the program began in 2009; of these, 47% were handguns, the guns most frequently used in firearm homicides.
In exchange for surrendering their weapons, Gun Buyback participants receive Ralphs gift cards valued at up to $200, depending on the type of gun that is relinquished. The LAPD Gun Unit determines the type and classification of the firearm surrendered.
“The Gun Buyback Program is an important part of a multi-faceted approach to preventing gun violence,” said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck. “The partnership with Mayor Garcetti and the Gang Reduction and Youth Development Foundation has ensured that over 15,000 firearms will never be used in a crime.”
Comments